Ph.D. Physics, Scientist
Education and Training:
Ph.D. in Solid State Physics, Institute for Metal Physics, Kiev, Ukraine
M.S. Applied Physics (summa cum laude) Institute for Physics and Technology, Moscow, Russia
Research and Professional Experience:
2015 – present, Scientist, Brookhaven Technology Group, Inc.
2014 – present, Adjunct Professor of Electrical Engineering, Stony Brook University
1997 – 2016, Materials Scientist, Brookhaven National Laboratory
1989 – 1997, Research Scientist, Kiev Institute for Metal Physics, Kiev, Ukraine
- Solovyov, V.F. and Q. Li, Fast high-temperature superconductor switch for high current applications. Applied Physics Letters, 2013. 103(3): p. 032603-3.
- Solovyov, V., I. Dimitrov, K., and Q. Li, Growth of thick YBa2Cu3O7 layers via a barium fluoride process. Superconductor Science and Technology, 2013. 26(1): p. 013001.
- Solovyov, V.F., Q. Li, W. Si, B. Maiorov, T.J. Haugan, J.L. MacManus-Driscoll, H. Yao, Q.X. Jia, and E.D. Specht, Influence of defect-induced biaxial strain on flux pinning in thick YBa2Cu3O7 Physical Review B, 2012. 86(9): p. 094511.
- Solovyov, V., Q. Li, M. Rupich, S. Sathyamurthy, and X. Li, New Pinning Strategies for Second-Generation Wires. Applied Superconductivity, IEEE Transactions on, 2012. 23(3): p. 6600905.
- Solovyov, V.F., Q. Li, Y. Chen, A. Guevara, T. Shi, and V. Selvamanickam, Nucleation of ReBa2Cu3Ox (Re = rare-earth) during high-rate metal-organic chemical vapor deposition growth. Journal of Applied Physics, 2011. 110(12): p. 123904-6.
- Solovyov, V.F., K. Develos-Bagarinao, Q. Li, W.-D. Si, L.-J. Wu, J. Zhou, H. Wiesmann, and J. Qing, Strong pinning in thick YBa2Cu3O7 layers mediated by catalysis of a new long-period metastable cuprate phase. Journal of Applied Physics, 2010. 108(11): p. 113912-6.
- Solovyov, V.F., K. Develos-Bagarinao, Q. Li, J. Qing, and J. Zhou, Nature of YBa2Cu3O7 nucleation centers on ceria buffers. Superconductor Science and Technology, 2010. 23(1): p. 014008.
- Solovyov, V.F., D. Abraimov, D. Miller, Q. Li, and H. Wiesmann, Correlation between YBa2Cu3O7 nuclei density and the grain orientation of the CeO2 buffered Ni–W template of the second-generation superconducting wire. Journal of Applied Physics, 2009. 105(11): p. 113927-7.
- Solovyov, V.F., Q. Li, H. Wiesmann, P. Oleynikov, and Y. Zhu, Strong influence of the YBa2Cu3O7 grain size on critical current densities of thick YBa2Cu3O7 layers made by a metal-organic deposition process. Superconductor Science and Technology, 2008. 21(12): p. 125013-125018.
- Solovyov, V.F., H.J. Wiesmann, L. Wu, Q. Li, L.D. Cooley, M. Suenaga, B. Maiorov, and L. Civale, High critical currents by isotropic magnetic-flux-pinning centres in a 3 µm-thick YBa2Cu3O7 superconducting coated conductor. Superconductor Science and Technology, 2007. 20: p. L20-L23.
- U.S. Patent # 6,794,339 “Synthesis of YBa2Cu3O7 using sub-atmospheric processing.”
- U.S. Patent #7,361,377 “Fluorinated precursors of superconducting ceramics, and methods of making the same”.
- U.S. Patent#7,622,426 “Methods of controlling hydrogen fluoride pressure during chemical fabrication processes”.
- Editorial board member, Scientific Reports (Nature publishing group), since 2015.
- Conference organizer, Applied Superconductivity Conference, Portland, OR 2012.
- Conference organizer, Applied Superconductivity Conference, Charlotte, NC 2014.
- Conference session organizer, Spring Materials Research Society Meeting 2010.
- Session Chairman, Spring Materials Research Society Meeting, San Francisco, CA 2007, 2011.